Auto shows provide car enthusiasts of all ages with the opportunity to get together and celebrate their love of cars. Auto shows are public exhibitions for a variety of cars; ranging from classics and collectibles, to modern prototypes and concept models from all over the world. Attendees of these events usually consist of automotive industry professionals, students pursuing auto careers, and car lovers alike. Additionally, these events are great places for car company representatives and aftermarket manufacturers to showcase their latest products.
If you’re planning to pursue car repair training, auto shows can be very educational. They give you the chance to see new cars and engines well before they hit the market, and they also provide a glimpse into some of the latest, cutting-edge auto technology. While some auto shows take place in smaller, more intimate settings, others take up entire convention centres and attract thousands of attendees.
Here’s a look at a few of the most popular auto shows in British Columbia—you may even find yourself planning a trip to attend one of these in the near future!
The Most Popular Auto Shows in British Columbia
Vancouver International Auto Show
- Western Canada’s best attended consumer car show 96 years running!
- More than 400 new and customized vehicles on display over 5 days
- Exotics and Supercars exhibit features top names like Ferrari, Maserati, and Lamborghini
- Held annually at the Vancouver Convention Centre
- Average crowd attendance: 5,000 people
British Columbia Classic & Custom Car Show
- Established in 1996
- Over 300 hot-rods, muscle cars, customs, and classic race cars
- 75+ of BC’s aftermarket auto companies and commercial parts vendors
- Held annually at the Tradex Convention Centre in Abbotsford, BC
- Featuring live bands, meet & greets with former race car drivers, and more
- Small car show dedicated to Fiat/Chrysler built automobiles
- Run by the Mopar Unlimited Club since 1991
- Over 200 Mopar cars and trucks from all eras
- Held annually at the George Preston Recreation Center in Langley
- The club also participates in other events like the Fraser Valley Classic Car Show
St. George’s Day British Motoring Show
- Over 80 classic British vehicles from the 1940s onwards
- Held annually at Fort Langley Community Hall
- Established in 2005
- Models include Jaguar, Rolls Royce, Bentley, and more!
- Features a silent auction, a museum of flight display, and a high tea event
Crescent Beach Concours
- Classic Car Showcase held in Crescent Beach, Surrey since 2002
- Over 90 entrants selected from hundreds of applications
- Eight awards categories, including Collector Motorcycles, Supercars, and Muscle Cars
- Special Display Ribbon Category in 2016 was 1932 Fords
- This year’s oldest award winner was a 1922 Wills Sainte Claire A68 Roadster
Auto Expo Galleria
- First annual event held this year in the Starlight Casino, New Westminster
- One of the largest gatherings of tuner cars in the Vancouver area, with over 150 on display
- Awards categories include Best Exotic Supercar, Best Engine Bay, and Best Paint & Body
- Show includes music, models, vendor booths, and food trucks
- Sponsors of this year’s event included ATC!