At the beginning of the month, Honda unveiled a stunning new Civic concept model that received rave reviews at the New York International Auto Show. The preview of the 10th generation Civic got a lot of attention for its bold yet practical design, which featured a fastback profile to produce less aerodynamic drag.
Earlier this week, a batch of patent drawings were leaked online that could give us our first look at what is said to be production versions of both the Civic coupe and sedan.
Let’s take a look at the important role the Honda brand plays for Canadians, as well as what the leaked drawings reveal about the upcoming Civic models.
Honda’s Canadian Automotive Milestones
Students pursuing a career in auto repair may already know that the Honda Civic was Canada’s top-selling vehicle in 2014 as well as in prior years, but Honda’s relationship with Canada runs deeper than that. Did you know that the model has its own production plant in Alliston, Ontario? Here are a few of the brand’s milestones in recent years:
- North American’s first gasoline-electric hybrid, the Honda Insight, is launched in Canada
- The Acura MDX, produced in Alliston, Ont. is launched for global distribution
- Honda celebrates its 20th anniversary in Canada and production of its fourmillionth vehicle
- The Honda Civic, Civic Hybrid, Ridgeline and Civic win Automotive Journalists Association of Canada (AJAC) Car of the Year and Truck of the Year, and Alternate Power Vehicle Awards respectively.
- In April, Canada celebrates its 40th anniversary in Canada
- Also in April, Honda’s 5 millionth vehicle is produced in Canada
- The Civic remains Canada’s top-selling passenger vehicle for its 12th consecutive year
- Honda begins production of the CR-V at the Alliston, Ontario plant.
Through the years, Honda has been named one of Canada’s “50 Most Responsible Corporations” and even founded the Honda Canada Foundation (HCF) which is aimed at enhancing the social wellbeing of Canadian communities. The Civic has become an incredible mainstream part of Canada’s market, making it a household name for every automotive technician in the country.
Giving Auto Mechanics a Sneak Peek at the 2016 Civic
The leaked images first appeared in Gizmag and in a lot of ways, the new Civic resembles the concept on display at the Beijing Motor Show last year.
“The new Civic will be, flat out, the most dynamic, the most technologically advanced and the most refined and stylish Civic we’ve ever made,” said Dave Gardner, senior vice president of operations, Honda Canada Inc. “We couldn’t be prouder to be the global manufacturing lead for this epic vehicle, and they’ll be built by Canadians right in here in our renowned Alliston, Ontario facility.”
Per Honda Canada’s website: the Civic will target class-leading fuel economy ratings and fun-to-drive performance with near-luxury levels of cabin quietness and ride refinement.
If you’re looking to sign-up for an automotive course, you may be excited to hear what the engine specs on the Civic Type R might be, and with leaked information already floating around online, that news should be available shortly!
As someone working in auto mechanics, what features do you want to see on the new 2016 Honda Civic?