Automotive Diesel Service Technician
This program provides students with organized learning experiences along with actual shop training, to equip them with the necessary knowledge and experience to understand and diagnose light duty diesel engines. Today’s light duty diesel technician must understand the operation of these components and system in order to service them properly. Combination of both classroom theory and hands-on training offers the advantage of experience with the skills that are required for entry-level employment.
This instructional program prepares the students to engage in the servicing and maintenance of light duty diesel engines. Also the course includes the engine control computers, fuel management, and emission control systems. Instructors with field experience provide a practical and knowledgeable source of education.
By the end of this program students will be able to:
- List and describe the reasons why diesel engines are more efficient than gasoline engines
- Conduct hands on shop practice by inspecting, diagnosing and repairing light duty diesel engines.
- Explain the construction, operation and service required of a diesel engine
- Describe and use specialized diesel tools and equipment
- List and explain the operation of all engine components
- Distinguish and describe the components of a fuel injection system
- Describe the operating principles and list the major components of injection pumps
- Describe the design and operation of injectors
- Explain and know the difference of operating Timing Control and Mechanical Variable Control
- Communicate the basic principles of electricity
- Select, service and test batteries
- Explain and understand basic operating principles of electronically controlled multiple plunger inline injection pumps, unit injection systems, and distributor pump injection systems
- Explain and build an understanding of the importance of a preventive maintenance program and accurate maintenance records
- Properly prepare a diesel engine for short and long term storage