Selling pre-owned cars is in many ways quite similar to selling new ones. Sales need to be personalized, professional, and transparent. In auto sales courses you will pick up skills to sell both new and pre-owned cars. Certified Pre-Owned cars are an attractive option to many drivers, who may be looking for a lower cost option to fit their needs. Some customers don’t want to borrow to own a car, which is common with new vehicles. They may see pre-owned cars as a better option for paying in cash as opposed to financing.
Maintenance and repair on used cars is often higher, so you need to address this area with customers. Auto sales training prepares you to present these topics in a way that is positive. By showcasing what pre-owned cars have to offer, you can match customers with vehicles that will serve their needs and make them happy drivers. Read on for more facts and tips on how to sell a pre-owned car in your auto sales career!
How to Sell a Pre-Owned Car
Fun Fact: 75% of cars sold are used!
What are Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) Vehicles?
- Programs offered by manufacturers and some dealerships
- Have undergone inspections and safety processes
- Meet mileage and age requirements
- Worth more than uncertified
- Additional benefits:
- Roadside assistance
- Special financing
How Do you Sell a Pre-Owned Car?
Connect to your Customer Quickly
- Make eye contact
- Listen more than you talk
- Remember names
- Be patient, not pushy
- Don’t say negative things about other dealerships
Personalization is Key to getting Keys in Customers’ Hands
- Find out their driving habits
- Pre-owned cars have history, so are more individual
- Talk about the car’s longevity
- Read your customer—do they value safety most? Performance? Value?
Did you know? 3 people on average will own each car over its lifetime.
Product Knowledge Helps Customers Trust You
Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINs) are on all North American cars built from 1981 onward:
- 17 letters and digits
- Comparable to a fingerprint
- Provides information on: manufacturer, model, year, make, equipment, class
Canada Vehicle History Report can be provided with the VIN, for info on:
- Liens (possessions)
Did you know? 61% of buyers are open to a used car that’s been in an accident.
Transparency will Work to Your Advantage
- Never lie
- Educating customers empowers them to make decisions
- Increase rapport and trust
The Follow-up Email
- A thoughtful message following up with customers
- Personalize the subject line and email with names, keywords, and urgency
- Keep it short and personal
- Follow up again if you don’t hear back