Insurance claim forms are documents that collision estimators typically submit to the insurance company of customers (who have been in accidents) when they perform any repairs on their vehicle. These forms contain information such as the details of the accident, the extent of the damage, the cost of the repairs, and the payment method. They help the insurance company process the claim and reimburse all parties involved.
As an auto body technician, you will be responsible for providing accurate and detailed information about the repairs you perform and following the guidelines and requirements of different insurance companies when filling out insurance claim forms whenever needed. However, filling out these forms can be time and effort-intensive, especially if you’re doing it for the first time. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you quickly and accurately fill out insurance claim forms if you’re undergoing auto body training.
1. Gather the Necessary Information After Auto Body Training
Before filling out an insurance form after your auto body training, you’ll need to gather some essential information from your customer and the insurance company. These include:
- The name, address, phone number, and email of your customer
- The name, address, phone number, and policy number of the insurance company
- The vehicle identification number (VIN), make, model, year, colour, and license plate number
- The date, time, location, and description of the accident
- The name, address, phone number, and insurance information of the other driver(s) involved in the accident
- The name and badge number of the police officer who responded to the accident
- The police report number and a copy of the report
- Photos or videos of the damage and the scene of the accident
2. Fill Out the Form in Auto Body Estimating
Once you have all the information ready, you can start filling out the form. Depending on the insurance company, you may have to use a paper or online form. Either way, you should follow these general guidelines:
- Use clear and legible handwriting or typing
- Answer all the questions truthfully and completely
- Provide as much detail as possible
- Attach any supporting documents or evidence
- Sign and date the form
It’s important to be careful and thorough while filling out an insurance claim form. Keep the following tips at the back of your mind while filling out auto body estimating insurance claims throughout your career:
- Use a template or a checklist to ensure you get all the important information and steps
- Review your form carefully before submitting it to avoid errors or omissions
- Keep track of your communication with your customer and the insurance company
- Be courteous and professional in correspondence with your customer and the insurance company
- Be honest and transparent about the damage and the repair costs
- Be prepared to negotiate with the insurance company if they offer a lower settlement than you expect or deserve
3. Submit the Form and Follow Up With the Insurance Company
After completing the form, you must submit it to the insurance company as soon as possible. This can be done by mail, fax, email, or on an online portal. Also, keep a copy of the form and any attachments for your records.
Once the form has been submitted, follow up with the insurance company to confirm that they have received and are processing it. Remember to also check on the status of your claim regularly and respond to requests for additional information or clarification. If you encounter any problems or delays with your claim, contact the insurance company and try to resolve them amicably.
Are you looking for a world-class auto body school?
Contact ATC Surrey to learn how you can join us.